Transforming your bathroom into a lush escape can be as simple as introducing the right plants. However, not all greenery is suited for the unique conditions of this personal oasis.
In this guide, you’ll discover which plants revel in the humid and often warm climate of bathrooms, from elegant orchids to sturdy succulents. Furthermore, you’ll learn how to select varieties that harmonize with your decor style to create a cohesive and soothing environment.
Tailoring your choices based on the environment and aesthetic will ensure that your bathroom becomes a flourishing retreat that reflects your personal touch and unique style.
What Type of Environment Is in Your Bathroom?
Knowing the ins and outs of your bathroom environment is the easiest way to select a plant that works in your space. If your plant can’t thrive, then it won’t matter what it is or what it looks like.
Bathrooms typically have a humid environment, especially if you’re fond of hot showers. And if you or more people in your household shower once per day, then your bathroom will be hot and steamy. If condensation is dripping off your walls, then you can mimic a tropical environment.
This can increase the number of plants you can keep in your bathroom. And if it has a window, you’re even more set. All plants either like direct or indirect sunlight because it’s required for photosynthesis. If your bathroom doesn’t have a window, it’s better to get fake plants.
But if you’re gung ho on placing real plants in your bathroom, then you’ll need to do a full bathroom remodel. If you’re looking for the right contractor, know that businesses get their bathroom remodel leads from social media or search engines. Search for key terms like “bathroom remodel specialist in Texas” to find a professional that suits your needs.
What Types of Plants Flourish in the Bathroom?
Any plant that loves to exist in humid or low-light settings (provided your bathroom has a window) will flourish in the bathroom. And if you take humid showers, you won’t need to water your plants as much. Also, plants that require lots of watering will still thrive in a bathroom.
If you’re not sure where to start, we recommend purchasing the following plants:
- Succulent: A group of succulents can look incredible in a bathroom. Choose varieties like aloe vera, which can handle occasional neglect and varying light conditions.
- Paphiopedilums Orchid: This exotic beauty loves the high humidity levels found in bathrooms. However, make sure this orchid is only getting indirect light.
- Spider Plant: These plants are an incredibly adaptable, low-fuss option for new plant parents. They also purify the air, making them an ideal choice for any bathroom setting.
- Lemon Button Fern: Prefers the moist environment of a bath and brings in delicate foliage. As an extra bonus, these plants give off a pleasant lemony scent.
- Walking Iris: Unique and hardy, this plant can adapt to medium bathroom lighting. Despite their extravagant look, walking irises are pretty easy to care for.
- Majesty Palm: This plant introduces a tropical vibe, but you need to make sure it gets enough light. You should stick them in the shower with you from time to time.
- Purple Oxalis: With its vibrant purple leaves, this plant can brighten up even small spaces. They prefer low light, so don’t keep them too close to the window.
- Kangaroo Paw Fern: This fern thrives in low light and high humidity situations typical to bathrooms. However, they don’t like wet soil, so go easy when you’re watering.
- Snake Plant: These plants are almost indestructible and can survive with minimal care and irregular lighting. For best results, water this plant every 10 to 14 days.
- ZZ Plant: This plant is perfect for forgetful owners since it needs little water and sunlight. If your bathroom is on the cold side, your ZZ plant will grow even bigger.
Keep in mind that not all of these plants are pet-safe. If your pets like to nibble on greenery, stick to spider plants and certain orchids. You could also try the Boston fern or Ponytail palm.
How Can You Choose a Plant That Compliments Your Decor?
Choosing the perfect plant isn't just about survival. It's about style. In this section, learn to select greenery that will harmonize beautifully with your bathroom's unique decor and aesthetics.
Analyze Your Color Scheme
When you bring a plant into your home, it should be more than just an afterthought. Consider it an integral part of the decor. Start by looking at the dominant colors in your bathroom.
A deep green fern, for example, can enhance earth tones, while the bright blossoms of an orchid might complement pastel-colored walls or towels. If you opt for plants in decorative pots, choose hues that stand out against your color scheme or blend in according to your taste.
Matching or contrasting the right plant with your decor can create a harmonious space.
Consider the Texture
Texture plays a significant role in the feel of your bathroom's interior. Sleek, glossy leaves of a ZZ plant can echo modern fixtures, enhancing a contemporary and minimalist style.
On the other hand, if you're looking to add some softness to hard ceramic surfaces, the feathery fronds of a fern may be just what you need. Or, if you’re looking for something to pop, ruffled purple oxalis add depth and interest that can make monochromatic bathrooms come alive.
By choosing plants with textures that contrast or complement your current decor, you'll add visual weight and balance out the space to create an inviting atmosphere.
Scale It Right
The scale of each plant is important in your selection process. A large majesty palm might serve as a stunning focal point in a spacious bathroom, but it could overwhelm a smaller room.
On the other hand, petite succulents may disappear in an expansive space but will shine on a modest vanity. Consider the available area you have and how much of that you're willing to dedicate to greenery. Strike a balance by selecting plants whose size feels intentional within your space. This way, you can fill the room out without encroaching upon essential areas.
Now that you're equipped with the knowledge of what plants can thrive in your bathroom and how to choose them based on your decor, it's time to bring some life into that space!
Embrace the opportunity to enhance your daily routine with a touch of greenery. Select a plant—or several—that resonates with your style and bathroom climate. Remember, each addition not only purifies the air but also transforms your bathroom into a sanctuary of serenity. Go ahead, dip your toes into botanical styling, and watch as your bathroom blooms with vitality!