Last September, the historic center of Leverano hosted a prestigious and memorable event dedicated to floral art: “Leverano in Fiore”. The event offers two days to pay homage to the extraordinary world of flowers, of which the Municipality of Northern Salento is one of the nerve centers of all of Southern Italy. Above all thanks to the great work done by local horticultural companies. This is a historic event, which made its first appearance back in 1983; since then the event has been going on intermittently, absent for some years, and then resumed in 2005 under the name of Note Fiorite. The Municipal Administration, in 2018, six years after the last edition, relaunched the event by giving it back its ancient name, and now after COVID-19, the postponed edition of Leverano in Fiori took place in September instead of May.
Leverano in Fiori
During the event, the historic center of Leverano transforms into a huge colorful garden, with the aim of welcoming the thousands of visitors who come from all over Puglia. Ready to be amazed by the spectacular flower arrangements that enrich everyone. The alleys, the streets of the ancient city center, and many historic houses whose owners open for the occasion. “Leverano in Fiore” is an absolute triumph of colors and scents with which to indulge in the enchantment of the senses. Furthermore, “Leverano in Fiore” is also the right place to taste some of the gastronomic excellences typical of the Salento area with the various stands located in the historic center. Of course, music also plays an important role, thanks to the participation of various local artists.
One of the driving forces behind this organization is Anna Maria Spedicato. She and her husband Francesco Durante make designs together with a huge team, to decorate the whole city. This design with Chrysanthemum Pina Colada and Bamboo was shining brightly in the museum next to the church. Many stems of this Pina Colada Chrysanthemum were given to the visitors to take home the last day.
The Church and the Convent of Santa Maria Delle Grazie
These are two very ancient architectural structures: the church was built in the second half of the fifteenth century, while the convent was built in the sixteenth century. The church has a rather simple façade, with late Romanesque elements. The convent developed around a rectangular cloister, with twenty-four ogives resting on polygonal columns ending with capitals. The vaults were frescoed in the eighteenth century with representations of biblical scenes and various saints. In 1807, due to the suppression of religious orders, the convent was closed, only to be reopened in 1935. This was the perfect place for magnificent designs. Anna Maria designed a beautiful work here with bamboo and Chrysanthemum Pina Colada. But also for the competitors of Arteflorando, the competition that was organized by Ivan Bergh Floral Design School. All preparations, as well as the making of the hand-tied bouquet, were being done at the Convent.